04 July 2017

So much to do

So, now that we're going to do this, there is just so much we need to do - it feels overwhelming to me. I guess, listing a few things might help?

  • Get rid of stuff - Am I going to sell things or take them to the Charity Shop? Both, I guess. But it's so much work 😖 And where do I start? I'll start with the stuff that goes to the Charity Shop - things that I don't expect people will spend money on Ebay. It's so hard for me to let go of things. They somehow seem to be part of me - memories, collections... What if I miss them when they're gone? Can they possibly go with me onto the boat? No. I don't want stuff anymore. It's time to let go. Carol and George said it's so liberating, and recently Ewan and I watched The Minimalists on Netflix and found it liberating to just watch others free themselves from possessions. So, I can do this. I will do this.

  • Put the house on the market - Yeah, I'd like to do that today. Nevertheless, the garden needs attention, the super expensive hob has a diagonal crack from top left to bottom right, the bath tub has a crack (the coat won't last forever), the kitchen tap is loose, drips and leaks. The kitchen walls need a new coat of colour, so does the living room. Carpets need cleaning; the front lawn needs new grass, the patio needs weeding. Ewan has cut the hedge, bless him; that's something. Okay - before we've done the house and garden up we can't get the estate agent here. At least the cosmetics need doing.

  • Do houseboat research - Carol and George have given us some helpful tips where to find boats. But does it make sense to look now? It's like when we last sold and bought a house, first get some interest, then start looking for a new home. At least that's how I see it at the moment. But there's other research to be done. We need to understand how to maintain a boat, how to even get it here if it comes from another part of the world. Mooring costs, taxes - Will we even find a mooring? They're not easily available. I need to go to Rosie's Cafe and Boat Hire and get a boaters' magazine. I can do that. I'll have a lovely walk along the canal with Jack and then a coffee and a read.
  • Tell our parents - Right now this seems to be the hardest bit. Most of our family and friends know, but we haven't told our parents. We expect resistance. They'll talk us out of it. They'll infect us with their fears and doubts. Again - speaking to Carol and George helped us a little, as afterwards we felt we could tell them. But today is another day, and my fear of their reaction is back. Well - we have time, haven't we.

Ewan might find out today if he still has a job. I better get busy and not think about it. Just hoping for the best. Somehow, I feel the Universe is with us all the way. I feel a green light.

Let's get do stuff now.

See you later,
Silvia 🙋

4 comments:

  1. Super exciting Ewan and Sylvie. A very dinghified lifestyle :) I've lived in a canoe for a month . . . Hugs from Canada!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Andrew - that sounds interesting. Tell us all about it :) Hugs back xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great news...can't wait to hear all about it..Sounds amazing and well done for taking the plunge! (ha ha) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pippa. It's so good to get all the good vibes and motivation from others. Feels more and more right.

      Delete