07 July 2017

Snap decision

During those beautiful warm summer days it is especially difficult to be patient with regard to realising our dream. I've been walking my dog Jack every day along the river in Abingdon, and I look at the barges with even more yearning now. I envy everyone who is already living this lifestyle close to nature.

The day before yesterday I took a snap decision and signed up with House Simple, in order to get the house sold as soon as possible (don't like mainstream estate agents, would rather sell the house privately). My thinking was, we don't have to commit to anything, but we will get an idea of what our property is worth. When Ewan came home he looked unhappy, though, so I sat down with him and we had a chat. The decision whether or not he'll have a job has been postponed another 2 weeks, and it's becoming hardly bearable for him. Poor Darling. Other stuff is also going on at work, e.g. one of his colleagues has got the sack. It's so bloody sad. What's going on at the County Council right now - I have only one word for it: Disgusting.
Anyway - to get back to the point - Ewan didn't have his head free for selling houses, so, he asked me to wait with getting Estate Agents here. Also, he feels we need to do some cosmetics first. He has a point, I gather. When I want something I want it NOW 😁 So, I'll have to cancel with House Simple again and be patient and do the step-by-step thing. Glad I have my Steadfast - he's so good for me.

It's not raining, so, the earth is really dry and hard; and it's hot. Therefore, I decided that garden work (de-weeding etc) is not on at the moment. I will sell stuff on Ebay now. Get some money in and rid of stuff as an added bonus. Anyone want a beautiful, fully functional dark brown double leather recliner sofa? We're finally selling it. It won't come with us - too big and bulky. Very comfy though 😆

Please, Weather God, let it rain cats and dogs all night tonight and then let us have more of this wonderful summer warmth at the weekend. Thank you!

Oh - P.S. -
If you'd like to support a wonderful Charity called "A Band of Brothers", please come along to 3Bs Fundraiser event at Sunningwell this Sunday (9th July). We'll put on a barbecue (even vegan and veggy options available), bands, offerings like Reiki etc., and Ewan will play his Rock & Blues in between, cause he's The DJ. This will be a real nice, fun family event.


5 comments:

  1. Your enthusiasm shines like a bright star ... really hope you achieve your dreams. How much time have you had on a narrow/wide boat already? There is a great site: https://livingonanarrowboat.co.uk/ which has a wealth of information for would be liveaboards. Also nice as there is not the typical forum bickering and point scoring. Quiet these days as the founder is in Europe, but masses of info and some very knowledgeable posters such a 'pearley' (pete earley) who always respond to questions. Also plenty of realism ... the Thames in summer is heaven on earth as far as we are concerned and we'll be on our way soon for our 2-3 month river fix, but it's not all good news in the depths of wet cold winters.

    You asked for advice, and Carol and George are experts so you've already had some of the best, but here is mine for what it's worth:
    - try out what you want first via hire or share, especially in winter.
    - don't rush anything to do with boats ... mistakes are VERY expensive.
    - look past the summer sat on deck with a wine ... think hard about winter and having to fetch everything and stoppages and soggy tow paths etc etc etc.
    - don't let anyone put you off if this is your calling. I sat on the deck of a rubbish hire boat with broken electrics in Oct 2011 and we knew this is where we wanted to be. Gone were the plans for a nicer house etc and 3 years later we took delivery of our new future floating home. I have many commitments so can't dump the land life just yet, but we still get 4-5 months on board in all weathers and I know this is where we'll be full time ... sometime soon!

    I know how hard it is to contain the excitement as I was the same. If we can help, just ask. We'll be in Abingdon again (love the free 5 days) probably in August.

    Good luck with your adventure
    Paul & Carole
    Newlands

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Paul & Carole - What a wonderful comment and helpful advice. Is it you two we met last night at Russ's b'day bash? Was so lovely to meet you. We'll meet again soon, we've got your details and will be in touch x

      Delete
    2. Thanks to your reply on our latest post, we now know it was not you two we met at Russ's Party recently. So, there are indeed 2 Paul and Caroles out there - hahaha. Confusing ;) Anyway - I must check if the other Carole really has an 'e' at the end of her name. And - we absolutely should meet when your're in Abingdon. We'd be delighted. On the side of our blog you will find our 'contact us', where you can contact us.
      All the best,
      Silvia

      Delete
  2. I can't wait for the next adventure. Guys you are doing very well, I'm learning a lot from you both.

    Thanks for inspired me

    love you

    Luz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaaw Sweetie, so lovely to hear from you :) We hope we're doing well ;) Your support means a lot xxx

      Delete