22 July 2017

The rain, our parents and stuff

We have a date with Paul and Carole - Yey! They will welcome us on their boat and we'll have a good chat about moving from the land to the river. We're excited 😀

Right now, there is not much more to report. Only that we have got rid of some stuff, have put things on Ebay and have contacted a friend to help us with the repair of the kitchen tap.

But we haven't spoken to our parents, yet. Coming Monday we're invited to my in-laws for supper. We'll have to pluck up some courage .... Don't get me wrong - they are the most wonderful people I've ever known; they are tolerant, open-minded, open-hearted and so very loving and lovable. But we believe that one of their great values is to own a house - on the land. We simply expect them to feel rocked by this news of ours. And we hate the idea that my mother-in-law is going to have even less sleep in the near future, worrying about us.

It's been raining all day here in Abingdon. That made us both think the same thought: What would it be like on the barge now? What would we do on a day like this? We both came to the conclusion that we would do exactly the same as we do now - we'd be on our computers, avoiding to go outside. I must admit, I haven't been out with my dog (shame on me, I know), but my darling Ewan has already had a long bike ride this morning (bless him), so he's off the hook.

We've been telling more friends and acquaintances about our mission, and we've had nothing but applause. Weird! But good 😊

I would like to use this blog to write about other things that move me, so, be prepared that not everything will be about the boat dream-come-true thing.

Here's a peaceful image of me gazing into nature. I can't wait doing that every day ...


And here's a pic of my sweet dog Jack running through the grass:


Tonight we're going to a big Sophos Party. Shame that the weather is not with us on this one. I need to become more English and not be so bothered by rain.

Cheerio, and talk to you soon x

5 comments:

  1. Awesome adventure you guys. Totally makes sense to me. You're going to have quite a garage sale getting rid of stuff! Blessings from Canada!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Andrew :) Glad to hear it. Keep us posted how you are doing xxx

      Delete
  2. Hi Silvia/Ewan,

    Thanks for the email - I don't know why it's not letting you comment on my blog... it's only set NOT to auto publish to prevent the spambots filling it up with drivel... well, drivel that I've not written ;-)

    I've added you to my reading list (I think) and will follow your progress with interest... SO far, there is nothing that has made me/us question our decision to move onboard. We're only keeping the house as a financial fallback position . We do have about 50k equity in it and the boat is bought and paid for without debt so compared to many live-aboards we're ok (for now)... Thing is, it doesn't worry us any more even if we were not. As soon as you tell your parents you are going to live on a boat it can go either with... mine are STILL resisting showing any interest (or even accepting it's happened) but Andy's are more enthusiastic. I've always "made my own kind of music/sung my own special song" (think Mama Cass) anyways so it's fine.

    As we got our boat on the water in November and I spent all the winter fitting it out, we got the 'worst' time over with - in reality, it's not unpleasant at all and we're looking forward to having the fire blazing and portholes open again soon :-)

    GOOD LUCK to you both... I'm sure it'll all be grand.

    Mark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fab, Quaysider :) Thank you so much for responding and putting our blog on your public list. We'll add yours as well. Must get to it first, and always have to rethink how to do it ;) Where in the world are you?
      All the best,
      Silvia

      Delete
  3. We're up in wakefield on the Aire and Calder mainline at Stanley Ferry... it's a nice enough place and as "new kids on the block" folk have shown quite an interest in our boat... and my attempts at fitting it out lol.

    ReplyDelete